- Denoting or relating to a molecular structure in which two particular atoms or groups lie on the same side of a given plane in the molecule, in particular denoting an isomer in which substituents at opposite ends of a carbon-carbon double bond are on the same side of the bond: the cis isomer of stilbene Compare with trans1.More example sentences
- But ultraviolet light converts the molecule to the cis isomer, in which both propellers are on the same side.
- Examples of stereoisomers include the cis and trans isomers of the alkenes.
- For example, the cis double bond at the centre of the fatty chain in erucamide and oleamide appears vital for slip performance.
independent usage of cis-.
More definitions of CISDefinition of cis in:
- The British & World English dictionary