Definition of citizen science in English:
The collection and analysis of data relating to the natural world by members of the general public, typically as part of a collaborative project with professional scientists: the director of education sees a need for citizen science in astronomy [as modifier]: citizen science projects
More example sentences
- They were on a mission to tally salamanders as participants in one of a series of "citizen science" outings organized by the Mystic Aquarium and Institute for Exploration's Amphibian Monitoring Project.
- This shift towards citizen science goes much further than the current double-science integrated course in distancing itself from traditional physics, chemistry and biology teaching.
- Across the country, wildlife researchers are discovering the benefits of an emerging "citizen science" movement.
citizen scientist noun
- Example sentences
- After combing through telescope images, citizen scientists helped identify the highly unusual asteroid 2011 HM102 near Neptune.
- The project uses data collected by citizen scientists to create an online map of bee populations.
- A website is calling on citizen scientists to help researchers monitor and record Europe's bat population.
Definition of citizen science in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan