The collection and analysis of data relating to the natural world by members of the general public, typically as part of a collaborative project with professional scientists: the director of education sees a need for citizen science in astronomy [as modifier]: citizen science projects
More example sentences
- Across the country, wildlife researchers are discovering the benefits of an emerging "citizen science" movement.
- Citizen science really is what the Christmas Bird Count is about.
- Finally, we have learned that these high-profile birds of conservation concern can be surveyed by the "citizen science" model pioneered in the Cerulean Warbler Atlas Project.
citizen scientist noun
- Example sentences
- The future of our waterways may well depend on citizen scientists like the Water Sentinels.
- Here, we report the results of a detailed demographic study and conservation assessment of Western Bluebirds conducted using data collected by citizen scientists.
- The project uses data collected by citizen scientists to create an online map of bee populations.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: cit·i·zen sci·ence
Definition of citizen science in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.