- 1 (also citronella oil) A fragrant natural oil used as an insect repellent and in perfume and soap manufacture.More example sentences
- New machines designed to release sprays based on citronella oil or geraniol, another plant-derived repellent with a sweet, rosy odor, also are available.
- Repellent candles or lamps, that burn citronella oil, are readily available from hardware stores and some supermarkets.
- Most use citronella oil as a primary bug deterrent, but some contain long lists of ‘essential’ ingredients.
- 2The southern Asian grass from which the citronella oil is obtained.
More example sentences
- Cymbopogon nardus, family Gramineae
- The citronella, or mosquito plant, is a scented geranium related to the common garden geranium.
- Some herbs that repel fleas include: juniper, pennyroyal, citronella, eucalyptus, cedar and Canadian fleabane.
- The research station has succeeded in making 400 lemon grass germ plasm collections, 21 pamarosa collections, 8 vetiver collections and 18 citronella collections.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from citron + the diminutive suffix -ella.
More definitions of citronellaDefinition of citronella in:
- The British & World English dictionary