Definition of citrus in English:
noun (plural citruses)
1A tree of a genus that includes citron, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit. Native to Asia, citrus trees are widely cultivated in warm countries for their fruit, which has juicy flesh and a pulpy rind.
- Genus Citrus, family Rutaceae
- Orchards carpet the land in parts of California, and oranges, lemons, limes, and other citrus are familiar trees in home gardens.
- It also offers a variety of tropical plants, including bromeliads, bougainvillea, citrus, hibiscus, and orchids.
- Rhododendrons, most heathers, camellias, pieris, skimmia, citrus and many others must have acid soil.
1.1 (also citrus fruit) A fruit from a citrus tree: [as modifier]: citrus extracts
More example sentences
- He and hundreds of farmers and their workers are caught up in strict quarantine measures designed to ensure the bacterial disease doesn't spread to the bigger citrus fruit growing areas in other States.
- This citrus fruit has an invigorating scent that energizes while helping to relieve tension, frustration, irritability and moodiness.
- Slice thinly or mince the citrus fruit and add water.
Early 19th century: Latin, literally 'citron tree, thuja'.
- Example sentences
- Pomelo, a citrous fruit, is generally favourite to consumers for its taste and high nutritional value.
- The present invention relates to the squeezing of lemons, oranges and other citrous fruits for the purpose of obtaining juice to be consumed as beverages.
- But if the restrictions were removed, loud would be the angry cries of the U.S. growers of citrous fruits, of U.S. labor, U.S. bootleggers.
- Example sentences
- There's a noticeable effervescence and a citrussy finish.
- The women liked this fragrance because it was citrusy, fruity, sharp and wearable.
- We were stuffed after all that plus some Sapporo, so we found it a nice touch to end the meal with a carved orange, perfectly citrusy on the tongue, after experiencing so many foreign flavours.
Words that rhyme with citruscitrous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan