Definition of clapper rail in English:
A large grayish rail of American coastal marshes. It has a distinctive clattering rattlelike call.
- Rallus longirostris, family Rallidae
- The California clapper rail is a secretive marsh bird with a distinctive call.
- Our biologists are working with Mexican and American partners now to recover the light-footed clapper rail, the Quino checkerspot butterfly, the ocelot, and many other species.
- At present, so much water is sucked from the Colorado that the river often fails to reach the Sea of Cortez, dooming species like the endangered desert pupfish and the Yuma clapper rail.
From clapper, denoting a device for making a loud clattering sound, with reference to the bird's cry.
Definition of clapper rail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.