A large grayish rail of American coastal marshes. It has a distinctive clattering rattlelike call.
- Rallus longirostris, family Rallidae
More example sentences
- The California clapper rail is a secretive marsh bird with a distinctive call.
- Our biologists are working with Mexican and American partners now to recover the light-footed clapper rail, the Quino checkerspot butterfly, the ocelot, and many other species.
- At present, so much water is sucked from the Colorado that the river often fails to reach the Sea of Cortez, dooming species like the endangered desert pupfish and the Yuma clapper rail.
from clapper, denoting a device for making a loud clattering sound, with reference to the bird's cry.
Definition of clapper rail in:
- The British & World English dictionary