Definition of classic in English:
- Overall I was very impressed with the quality of classic car that I saw at the show.
- Provided you know the rules, investing in a classic car is an ideal way to get your hands on a sporty roadster or upmarket saloon for a fraction of the price you'd pay for a new model.
- Charlotte is the author of the classic novel Jane Eyre, one of the top 20 most popular reads in the country.
- This jacket can be worn with sleek pants and a stylish shirt, or a classic sweater and jeans.
- The breathable, lightweight garments come in simple, classic designs.
- This time around he went for being modern, by encompassing modern styles and techniques with Chanel's intricate classic designs.
- It is for the classic flu symptoms of dizziness, weakness, and fatigue.
- We may have the classic symptoms of the workaholic - the compulsion to spend hours away from home, the misplaced feeling of virtue - but none of this is proof we are accomplishing anything.
- Doctors failed to properly investigate a woman with a family history of heart disease who died within a year of showing classic symptoms of a heart condition, it was alleged yesterday.
nounBack to top
- Imagine if we could all value each other as much as we value the classics of literature.
- Their program of four operas includes three recognized classics and one new work that has already won many important prizes in China.
- What make this movie such a classic is its entertainment value plus its originality.
- The Burberry trenchcoat is a style classic which has influenced other manufacturers.
- High quality clothing lasts longer and classics don't lose their style.
- Keep in mind that frames consisting of a simple square, rectangle, oval or round shapes are classics that can work with everything.
- With this in mind, we talk about portraits and view examples of classics.
- A fur-and-pearls clientele come to be comforted with well-cooked classics such as tortellini al tartufo.
- Certain classics stand out in both media - but it would be stretching it to say they had a separate influence on my opinions.
- I transferred out to go to Saint John's College, where I immersed myself in the Classics and Ancient Greek, then I went back to Marlboro and studied Literature and Philosophy.
- It suited a society that wanted a select few to pursue the life of the mind, through immersing themselves in such fusty subjects as Classics or philosophy, while everybody else did something less useless instead.
- His Oxford doctorate in Classics, earned studying Latin ghost stories and adultery tales, is of little relevance to this.
- As a reaction to the Middle Ages, in the early renaissance, there was a strong focus on a classical education consisting of Greek, Latin, the classics, and art.
- Stripped of his offices in 1688, he returned with success to the theatre, and began a brilliant series of translations from the classics, particularly Virgil's Aeneid and The Georgics.
- The role of the public school was to educate potential political leaders and gentlemen, and the bulk of a public school curriculum reflected the liberal arts through the classics.
- Monday there was a large turnout at the Galway Bay Golf and Country Club for a Golf Classic.
- They also have a Dubai Desert Tennis, Snooker, Cricket, Soccer and even Table Tennis Classic.
- The Abbey Community College Parents Association will hold a Golf Classic in Waterford Golf Club this Friday May 6th.
Note that classic means ‘typical, excellent as an example, timeless,’ as in John Ford directed many classic Westerns, and classical means ‘relating to Greek or Roman antiquity,’ as in the museum was built in the classical style. Great art is considered classic, not classical, unless it is created in the forms of antiquity. Classical music is one exception to this rule, being formal music adhering to certain stylistic principles of the late 18th century. A classical education exposes a student to classical literature, history, and languages (especially Latin and Greek), but the study of Greek and Latin languages and their literatures is also referred to as the classics.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.