Definition of classicism in English:
1The following of ancient Greek or Roman principles and style in art and literature, generally associated with harmony, restraint, and adherence to recognized standards of form and craftsmanship, especially from the Renaissance to the 18th century. Often contrasted with romanticism.
- Principles typically associated with classicism include order, proportion, balance, harmony, decorum, avoidance of excess.
- Mies also was influenced by the pure classicism of ancient Greek architecture, as seen in his proposal for the Bismarck Monument of 1910, which includes a super-scaled colonnade.
- Greek and Roman classicism had been an important part of that tradition.
1.1The following of traditional and long-established theories or styles.
- A stickler for classicism, he follows the traditional style in composing ghazals.
- It starts with three friends with deeply personal agendas to condemn fascism, elitism, classicism, racism and sexism.
- If this is classicism, it's classicism at its highest artistic point of subtlety and complexity.
Definition of classicism in:
- British & World English dictionary