Definition of classicist in English:
1A person who studies Classics (ancient Greek and Latin).
- Even writers who wanted to be thought of as classicists usually needed a Latin crib to help them through Greek poetry in this period.
- But she did ask that we not describe her as a classicist (she studied classics) but now works in another field.
- He advises folklorists to look back to ancient literature and classicists to look forward to folklore methods.
2A follower of classicism in the arts.
- He uses an architectural framework, as classicists do, to anchor the contents of the picture to the given horizontal and vertical of the support.
- In another era, he would have been a strict classicist; as a young man in the early years of the twentieth century, he found his characteristic imagery in the logic of industrial America - its machine dreams.
- A homegrown classicist, he presented an idealized side of desire that the ancient Greeks would have understood.
Definition of classicist in:
- British & World English dictionary