- Denoting rocks composed of broken pieces of older rocks.More example sentences
- Mechanical deposition, by water or wind, produces clastic rocks composed of broken fragments, generally of silicate minerals and small pieces of rock: sandstones and conglomerates.
- The Allouez Conglomerate is composed mainly of red-colored clastic rocks with lesser amounts of sandstone and siltstone.
- In contrast, the Cambrian clastic rocks are characterized by a paucity of these zircons, suggesting a significant difference between Neoproterozoic and Cambrian drainage systems.
late 19th century: from French clastique, from Greek klastos 'broken in pieces'.
More definitions of clasticDefinition of clastic in:
- The British & World English dictionary