- Any of several symbols placed at the left-hand end of a staff, indicating the pitch of the notes written on it.More example sentences
- Guidelines for clefs, key signatures, bar-lines, and notes are similarly drawn in.
- He also said the pianist may benefit from singing or playing individual parts, especially when there are transposing parts or those that use transposing clefs.
- For one thing, he himself tells us that he had learned all the old clefs before he was 12.
late 16th century: from French, from Latin clavis 'key'.
More definitions of clefDefinition of clef in:
- The British & World English dictionary