A climbing plant of the buttercup family that bears white, pink, or purple flowers and feathery seeds. Several kinds are cultivated as ornamentals.
- Genus Clematis, family Ranunculaceae
More example sentences
- Of note is the purple clematis which climbs up the wall.
- Clematis alpina is usually among the earliest clematis to bloom in the spring.
- Plant climbing flowers like morning glories or clematis at the foot of the arch.
Latin (also denoting the periwinkle), from Greek klēmatis, from klēma 'vine branch'.
Definition of clematis in:
- The British & World English dictionary