- 1An ending to an episode of a serial drama that leaves the audience in suspense.More example sentences
- Of course, in keeping with the name of the program, each episode of each serial ended with a cliffhanger.
- And then, like a dramatic cliffhanger, the day ended.
- Complications arise during the surgery, but a cliffhanger ending leads the audience to wonder if Dr. Brown has managed a second miracle.
- 1.1A story or event with a strong element of suspense: the game was a cliffhanger right up to the final buzzerMore example sentences
- Good handicapping meant clashes like the Jane Fletcher Memorial Cup match between Chowbent B and Metro A stayed a cliffhanger until the final games.
- Knights supporters took over South Leeds Stadium yesterday and witnessed the latest in a long line of heart-stopping stories stolen from the script of a comic-book cliffhanger.
- It's going to be a cliffhanger, and you're going to have the same story in 2000.
- More example sentences
- The hype has worked, but the reality is a lumbering, unconvincing tale that is filled with one cliffhanging moment after another but never builds into a satisfying thriller.
- The last few days have been feeling like the cliffhanging episode in the so-called thriller that is [not] my life
- Only the other day the Evening Press reported that the cliffhanging House In The Rock had been bought by a Pateley Bridge antiques dealer.
More definitions of cliffhangerDefinition of cliffhanger in:
- The British & World English dictionary