Definition of cliffhanger in English:
1An ending to an episode of a serial drama that leaves the audience in suspense.
- Of course, in keeping with the name of the program, each episode of each serial ended with a cliffhanger.
- And then, like a dramatic cliffhanger, the day ended.
- Complications arise during the surgery, but a cliffhanger ending leads the audience to wonder if Dr. Brown has managed a second miracle.
1.1A story or event with a strong element of suspense: the game was a cliffhanger right up to the final buzzer
More example sentences
- Good handicapping meant clashes like the Jane Fletcher Memorial Cup match between Chowbent B and Metro A stayed a cliffhanger until the final games.
- Knights supporters took over South Leeds Stadium yesterday and witnessed the latest in a long line of heart-stopping stories stolen from the script of a comic-book cliffhanger.
- It's going to be a cliffhanger, and you're going to have the same story in 2000.
- Example sentences
- The hype has worked, but the reality is a lumbering, unconvincing tale that is filled with one cliffhanging moment after another but never builds into a satisfying thriller.
- The last few days have been feeling like the cliffhanging episode in the so-called thriller that is [not] my life
- Only the other day the Evening Press reported that the cliffhanging House In The Rock had been bought by a Pateley Bridge antiques dealer.
Definition of cliffhanger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan