Definition of clip-clop in English:
The sound as of a horse’s hoofs beating on a hard surface.
- For a moment the only sound was the clip-clop of hooves on the tarmac.
- It was calm and peaceful; the only sound was the clip-clop of the horses' hooves and the chirping of the birds.
- I smiled, looking at Brandon as he clapped his hands together making a clip-clop of horse's hooves.
verb[no object] Back to top
Move with a clip-clop: the horses clip-clopped slowly along the street
More example sentences
- Carriages being pulled by horses clip-clopped along the coble streets and their masters whipped them to pick up the pace.
- As the horses clip-clopped along, their riders sat relaxed, talking animatedly.
- Last night there were 15 or 20 police on horses clip-clopping down my street at 11.30 p.m., keeping children and everyone else awake.
late 19th century: imitative.
Definition of clip-clop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan