Definition of clip-clop in English:
The sound as of a horse’s hoofs beating on a hard surface.
- For a moment the only sound was the clip-clop of hooves on the tarmac.
- It was calm and peaceful; the only sound was the clip-clop of the horses' hooves and the chirping of the birds.
- I smiled, looking at Brandon as he clapped his hands together making a clip-clop of horse's hooves.
verb[no object] Back to top
Move with a clip-clop: the horses clip-clopped slowly along the street
More example sentences
- Carriages being pulled by horses clip-clopped along the coble streets and their masters whipped them to pick up the pace.
- As the horses clip-clopped along, their riders sat relaxed, talking animatedly.
- Last night there were 15 or 20 police on horses clip-clopping down my street at 11.30 p.m., keeping children and everyone else awake.
Late 19th century: imitative.
Words that rhyme with clip-clopbellyflop • megaflop
Definition of clip-clop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.