Definition of clipper in English:
1 (usually clippers) An instrument for cutting or trimming small pieces off things: hair clippers
More example sentences
- The only time he looked forward was to peer over his hedge clippers into the kitchen window where Mahulda drank her peaberry coffee.
- She said a majority of the seized goods include open liquor, scissors, nail files, clippers, pen knives and other pointy objects.
- Other items confiscated prior to boarding include scissors, nail files, clippers and pen knives.
3 (also clipper chip) A microchip that inserts an identifying code into encrypted transmissions, allowing them to be deciphered by a third party having access to a government-held key.
- There were contentious debates over the clipper chip, online wire tapping, and encryption.
- It's a government conspiracy - they're installing clipper chips in the new ones.
4 (also clipper ship) A fast sailing ship, especially one of 19th-century design with concave bows and raked masts.
- Star Clipper and her near-identical sister ship are fantastic square-rigged clippers.
- Strictly speaking, the new Amistad is a reproduction or a recreation of the original, a Baltimore clipper built in Cuba around 1835 to carry general cargo.
- Indeed I found a reference to the East India Company clipper Union landing on the island in 1609.
Definition of clipper in:
- British & World English dictionary