1 (usually clippers) An instrument for cutting or trimming small pieces off things: hair clippers
More example sentences
- The only time he looked forward was to peer over his hedge clippers into the kitchen window where Mahulda drank her peaberry coffee.
- She said a majority of the seized goods include open liquor, scissors, nail files, clippers, pen knives and other pointy objects.
- Other items confiscated prior to boarding include scissors, nail files, clippers and pen knives.
3 (also clipper chip) A microchip that inserts an identifying code into encrypted transmissions, allowing them to be deciphered by a third party having access to a government-held key.
- There were contentious debates over the clipper chip, online wire tapping, and encryption.
- It's a government conspiracy - they're installing clipper chips in the new ones.
4 (also clipper ship) A fast sailing ship, especially one of 19th-century design with concave bows and raked masts.
- Star Clipper and her near-identical sister ship are fantastic square-rigged clippers.
- Strictly speaking, the new Amistad is a reproduction or a recreation of the original, a Baltimore clipper built in Cuba around 1835 to carry general cargo.
- Indeed I found a reference to the East India Company clipper Union landing on the island in 1609.
Words that rhyme with clipperAgrippa, chipper, dipper, equipper, flipper, gripper, hipper, kipper, nipper, Pippa, ripper, shipper, sipper, skipper, slipper, stripper, tipper, tripper, whipper, zipper
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of clipper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.