Definition of clique in English:
A small group of people, with shared interests or other features in common, who spend time together and do not readily allow others to join them.
- I hope that you all will get to know him and allow him to join our wonderful clique.
- In our close-knit cliques we gossip about a variety of topics even though we complain about the parents who do it.
- At that time, he hadn't joined any of the cliques he could have, staying alone, talking to a few other guys at a minimum level.
- Example sentences
- They stand for upper-class, cliquish snobbery.
- The intensity of Louis' initial physical attraction to her allowed Pompadour to adapt to the extraordinarily cliquish and exclusive atmosphere of Versailles.
- Then around 12 or 13, kids get cliquish and cruel and that disgusted me.
- Example sentences
- Not only would the overlapping of communities be encouraged but the cliquishness that plagues this campus will, hopefully, begin to be phased out.
- A new social system starts, and seems delightfully free of the elitism and cliquishness of the existing systems.
- Small world networks exhibit local cliquishness while exhibiting strong global connectivity.
Words that rhyme with cliqueantique, batik, beak, bespeak, bezique, bleak, boutique, cacique, caïque, cheek, chic, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, meek, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, opéra comique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India