Definition of clivia in English:
A southern African plant of the lily family, with dark green, straplike leaves and trumpet-shaped orange, red, or yellow flowers. Also called Kaffir lily.
- Genus Clivia, family Liliaceae (or Amaryllidaceae)
- It is planted with many varieties of Cape fynbos, cycads, huge strelitzias, beds of clivias, large arum lilies, proteas and trees such as yellowwood and cabbage.
- My clivia's leaves become spotted, discolored, turn brown and then die.
- The base of the trees are planted with clivias, cannas, wild rhubarb, agapanthus, shrimp plants.
Modern Latin, from Clive, the maiden name of Charlotte, Duchess of Northumberland (1787–1866).
Definition of clivia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.