Definition of cloche in English:
1A small translucent cover for protecting or forcing outdoor plants.
- Plant under cloches and begin covering at night when temperatures drop below 35 degrees.
- Cover the area with cloches to protect from the worst of the weather and pests.
- Cover this with cloches or a cold frame and wait until the temperature drops to 25C before sowing early salads, broad beans and herbs.
1.1 (also cloche hat) A woman’s close-fitting, bell-shaped hat.
- In the first, the ‘Girl’ in a cloche hat (tight-fitting, bell-shaped), with only one lock of hair peeking out, stands in the center of the picture in profile, looking off to the left.
- Elizabeth quietly sipped her tea and was glad she wore her wide brimmed hat instead of her cloche hat today.
- The cloche hat is almost like one of those clown hats.
Definition of cloche in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan