1A dance performed in clogs with rhythmic beating of the feet, especially as a traditional dance in Ireland, Scotland, and the north of England.
- When making this one I tried to incorporate elements that I hadn't used before, such as the northern element of the dances: the clog dance tunes, and of course the brass.
- Although very ragged, and very under rehearsed, the audience took them to their hearts, especially during the clog dance.
- This Brazilian team, however, has about as much relevance to the samba as a clog dance.
1.1A North American country tap dance performed in clogs with rhythmic beating of the feet.
- The clog dance is continually in a state of change and improvisation such that today it is performed not only to country and bluegrass music but also to pop.
- Trace the history of this uniquely American form from old-time Appalachian music to Western Swing and Bluegrass, topped with a country clog dance.
clog dancer noun
- Example sentences
- He began his career as a clog dancer but also studied ballet.
- Growing up in Southern Ohio, practically in the Appalachian foothills myself, I'd seen the adamant clog dancers at the country fair.
- Another treat will be the Demon Barber Roadshow, which features The Black Swan Rappers - a group of young sword and clog dancers.
clog dancing noun
- Example sentences
- He was a young kid simply interested in dancing, from Lancashire clog dancing to Hollywood tap dancing.
- The maypole was followed by some traditional Northumbrian clog dancing taught to the children by a teacher of ours from Newcastle.
- Youngsters will be able to take part in activities, including poetry writing, spinning and weaving, and clog dancing.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: clog dance
Definition of clog dance in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.