Definition of clonus in English:
Muscular spasm involving repeated, often rhythmic, contractions.
- Medication is indicated when stiffness, spasms, or clonus interferes with function or sleep.
- Physical examination revealed left ankle clonus, positive Babinski sign on the left, and left lower extremity weakness.
- The patient should be tested for deep tendon reflexes and clonus.
- Example sentences
- All 15 patients had generalised rhythmic myoclonic ‘seizures’ but eight had also had focal clonic episodes affecting various sites.
- A two-year-old girl presented with a generalized seizure with tonic - clonic movements of all extremities.
- Occasionally, mild clonic seizures occur, but a seizure work-up is not indicated unless other signs point in this direction.
Early 19th century: from Greek klonos 'turmoil'.
Definition of clonus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.