Definition of clop in English:
A sound or series of sounds made by a horse’s hooves on a hard surface.
- Beside him he could hear the thundering clop of Chubb's hooves; the rumbling roar of the buggy to his rear.
- Hoof beats sounded up ahead and the two recognized the heavy clop of unicorn hooves.
- The clop of their hooves and the jingle of the harness was rhythmic, almost soothing.
verb (clops, clopping, clopped)[no object] Back to top
(Of a horse) move with a clop: the animal clopped on at a steady pace
More example sentences
- Another train of sighing, blowing horses came clopping up towards us, laden with empty US Mail boxes.
- His horse clopped wildly away from him, but he was no longer moving with it.
- Then they heard horse feet clopping on pavement.
mid 19th century: imitative.
Definition of clop in:
- British & World English dictionary