Definition of clop in English:
A sound or series of sounds made by a horse’s hooves on a hard surface.
- Beside him he could hear the thundering clop of Chubb's hooves; the rumbling roar of the buggy to his rear.
- Hoof beats sounded up ahead and the two recognized the heavy clop of unicorn hooves.
- The clop of their hooves and the jingle of the harness was rhythmic, almost soothing.
verb (clops, clopping, clopped)[no object] Back to top
(Of a horse) move with a clop: the animal clopped on at a steady pace
More example sentences
- Another train of sighing, blowing horses came clopping up towards us, laden with empty US Mail boxes.
- His horse clopped wildly away from him, but he was no longer moving with it.
- Then they heard horse feet clopping on pavement.
mid 19th century: imitative.
Definition of clop in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan