Definition of clothes horse in English:
1A frame on which washed clothes are hung to air indoors.
- When the neighbours moved out, suddenly the non-carpeted bits of the floor were cold, and stuff hung on the clothes horses took twice as long to dry.
- Is she wishing she'd done her laundry earlier, cursing the weather that meant all her regular clothes are still damp and hanging on the clothes horse in her front porch?
- Still the step ladder (which, rather embarrassingly, my husband was using as a clothes horse for suit jackets) was retrieved.
1.1 informal, often , derogatory A person, typically a woman, who is excessively concerned with wearing fashionable clothes.
- Models began to be promoted as something more than mere clothes horses.
- With that qualifier, I certainly don't think it is necessary or desirable to be as thin as many of these breastless, boyish looking women being clothes horses on the TV ‘fashion file ‘show.’
- The man has become a fashion clothes horse, and the reference to Narcissus has been passed around among my friends.
Words that rhyme with clothes horseshire horse
Definition of clothes horse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.