- 1The dried flower bud of a tropical tree, used as a pungent aromatic spice: a teaspoon of ground clovesMore example sentences
- The English name allspice was given to the spice because its flavour resembles a mixture of other spices, especially cloves and black pepper.
- For the curry oil, in a medium bowl, mix together the cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, cayenne pepper, allspice, white pepper, and cloves and set aside.
- After that, it's just crushed garlic, allspice, ground cloves, paprika, salt and pepper.
- 1.1 (oil of cloves) Aromatic analgesic oil extracted from the clove and used medicinally, especially for the relief of dental pain.More example sentences
- For the temporary relief of toothache, apply a crushed clove or oil of cloves to the painful tooth, or plug the cavity with cotton wool soaked in the oil.
- He worked for a while on natural products and from 1864 on discovered sesquiterpenes in oil of cloves and other essential oils.
- Outside the United States, products sold as toothpaste sometimes include ground tobacco mixed with menthol, oil of cloves, peppermint and other flavorings.
- 2The Indonesian tree from which cloves are obtained.
More example sentences
- Syzygium aromaticum (also called Eugenia caryophyllus), family Myrtaceae
- In the centre's old minibus we drove through a shimmering tropical paradise of lush green forests of banana palms, coconut palms and cloves, and a land so fertile you could thrust a stick in it and watch it grow.
- We emerged into the country to find ourselves amid an open expanse of coconut palms, interspersed with the odd clove and nutmeg tree, banana palm and cinnamon bush.
- He stresses planting only healthy cloves and maintaining a three-year rotation with the whole Allium family.
- 3 (also clove pink) A clove-scented pink that is the original type from which the carnation and other double pinks have been bred.
More example sentences
- Dianthus caryophyllus, family Caryophyllaceae
- Perhaps you're attracted by sweetly scented herbs, in which case clove pink, scented geranium, hyssop, lavender and pineapple sage are a must for you.
- The full name clove-girofle was reserved for a pink, dianthus caryophyllus, the so-called clove - pink.
Middle English: from Old French clou de girofle, literally 'nail of gillyflower' (from its shape), gillyflower being originally the name of the spice and later applied to the similarly scented pink.
- Any of the small bulbs making up a compound bulb of garlic, shallot, etc..More example sentences
- To make it yourself, crush a garlic clove in a few tablespoons of olive oil and gently warm it over the stove for 30 minutes.
- Break the cloves off a garlic bulb and toss a handful into the blender.
- Chuck in a couple of chopped shallots and two cloves of chopped garlic.
Old English clufu, of Germanic origin, corresponding to the first element of German Knoblauch (altered from Old High German klovolouh), and the base of cleave1.