- A low-growing green plant that resembles a large moss, having branching stems with undivided leaves. Relatives of the club mosses were the first plants to colonize the land during the Silurian period.
More example sentences
- Class Lycopodiopsida, phylum Lycopodiophyta: one living family, Lycopodiaceae
- Extant vascular plants range from clubmosses and ferns and their allies (such as whisk ferns and horsetails) to complex seed plants, comprising gymnosperms and angiosperms.
- At left is a picture of the clubmoss Lycopodium obscurum showing the habit of the plant and position of the strobili, or cones.
- On the other hand, the trait ‘megaphyll’ (as opposed to ‘microphyll’) unites the fern and the flowering plant into a group, excluding the clubmoss.