1A heavy, dull sound such as that made by thick pieces of metal striking together.
- My heels' sound changed from the dull clunk of shoe on wood to the clipped sharpness of heel on marble.
- This method of tuning the pan is what gives it it's ringing quality as opposed to a dull clunk.
- The pilot walked in after the three clunks had sounded.
Move with or make heavy, dull sounds: the machinery clunked into life
More example sentences
- The sound of desks clunking and the shuffling of feet against the linoleum, filled her ears, as she got her materials organized and finally went to the front of the class.
- He shook his head and almost expected to hear the sound of something clunking around.
- He waved the man off dismissively and we all watched as his car clunked and rattled its way out of the parking lot.
Words that rhyme with clunkbunk, chunk, drunk, dunk, flunk, funk, gunk, hunk, Monck, monk, plunk, shrunk, skunk, slunk, stunk, sunk, thunk, trunk
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of clunk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.