- A mixture of gases (chiefly hydrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide) obtained by the destructive distillation of coal and formerly used for lighting and heating.More example sentences
- Blast furnace gas contains 25% carbon monoxide, and coal gas, which was used as a fuel in Europe up until North Sea gas became plentiful, contains 16%.
- During the last century, coal oil and coal gas were important sources of fuel for heating and lighting homes.
- They said people taking long baths in closed rooms risk coal gas poisoning from water heaters that consume large amounts of oxygen and produce carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide.
More definitions of coal gasDefinition of coal gas in:
- The British & World English dictionary