- The three agrarian parties are prohibited from entering into any coalitions with leftist political powers.
- As a realist, I am skeptical about whether he can build the necessary political coalitions.
- They are forming new political coalitions in an attempt to force an end to the occupation.
- Example sentences
- Here, however, the coalitionists are waiting for an appropriate judgement by the Federal Constitutional Court.
- The ensuing election in December gave the coalitionists an overwhelming victory.
- During January and February 1784 the coalition's majority in the House of Commons shrank rapidly, and in the ensuing general election ninety-six coalitionists lost their seats.
Early 17th century (in the sense 'fusion'): from medieval Latin coalitio(n-), from the verb coalescere (see coalesce). Usage in politics dates from the late 18th century.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.