Definition of coaster in English:
1A ship used to carry cargo along the coast.
- Since the ship was a coaster and never far from the shore it was more practical to stop - either at a port or somewhere along the coast - than carry provisions needed for several weeks journey.
- The year was 1956 and Ballina was a busy port even though the bar at Killala Bay and the Moy channel was difficult for the small coasters that mostly carried coal, timber, fertilisers and starch.
- In a similar vein, John Armstrong rehabilitated the sailing coaster in its unique role as freight transporter between British ports.
1.1 [with adjective] A person who inhabits a specified coast: a West coaster
More example sentences
- One song will sound like an operatic piece and the next features east coaster John McDermott in a more traditional eastern Canadian piece.
- With a strong population of English, Australian and South African transplants, mixed with a number of east coasters marooned in Southern California, Irvine is a unique squash melting pot.
- Unlike our friends in the east, west coasters moved on and found other things to do.
2A small tray or mat placed under a bottle or glass to protect the table underneath.
- Sophie would make you put your glass on a coaster.
- In no time flat we had selected a card, and some face cloths, and some table mats and coasters - when do you ever go into a department store for one small item and come out with nothing else?
- The showrooms experience a general demand for table mats and coasters and various hand crafted items, specially for exports.
3North American A toboggan.
3.1 short for roller coaster.
- Most parks ban little kids from the best rides, but Chessington's star attractions - a couple of genuine white-knuckle coasters - have been built to accommodate anybody over 3ft 11 in.
- But technological marvels are now as common as Future Shops, and the monolithic coasters at Paramount Canada's Wonderland put Conklin's rickety haunted houses and Tilt-a-Whirls to shame.
- All of the nation's 15 fastest coasters have been built in the last 10 years.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India