Definition of coattail in English:
Each of the flaps formed by the lower back of a coat, especially a tailcoat.
- He wears a top hat and coat-tails, and white spats on shoes the color of Alaskan hematite.
- The exotically-titled serjeant at arms - leader of the men who wear black coat-tails and tights, and responsible for security - could well fall on his sword.
- Vettriano has changed the chairs, restyled the diner's hair to reveal more of the nape of her neck and reshaped the men's coat-tails to show the wind licking at them.
ride (on) the coattails of
- Benefit from the success of (another), sometimes undeservedly: the film could ride the coattails of the hottest show on Broadway the band is riding on the coattails of the garage-rock revival he was elected on the coattails of his predecessorMore example sentences
- Because when you've only been on one station and you've worked with very experienced people, inevitably you ride on their coat-tails.
- What sort of a book was going to be produced by a couple of guys who were trying to come in on Dan Brown 's coat-tails?
- Larry has a very clear moral standpoint: ‘You can compete with me, but you can't do so by riding on my coat-tails.
Definition of coattail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan