1A highly venomous snake native to Africa and Asia that spreads the skin of its neck into a hood when disturbed.
- Naja and two other genera, family Elapidae: several species, in particular the king cobra and the spectacled cobra
- The dexterity with which the charmers handle deadly snakes such as cobras and vipers has added to the allure of the street-side performances.
- The snake charmers, in return for a small fee, rescue species like cobras and rat snakes that show up in people's homes and release them in forests.
- While human encounters with cobras, vipers, and pythons can prove fatal, more often than not it is the snakes that are killed.
2 (also cobra pose) A yoga pose assumed by lying on one’s stomach and raising one’s upper body so as to curve it backwards, using one’s arms and hands for support: drop the pelvis and arch the back into cobra
More example sentences
- Another therapeutic stretch is the cobra pose, a fundamental yoga stretch.
- Avoid traditional belly poses, such as the cobra pose, that require you to place weight on your midsection.
- They spend an hour clearing their minds with cleansing breaths and strengthening their bodies with bridge and cobra poses.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.