Definition of coccidia in English:
plural noun (singular coccidium /-ˈsidēəm/)Biology
Parasitic protozoa of a group that includes those that cause diseases such as coccidiosis and toxoplasmosis.
- I tested these hypotheses experimentally in a host-parasite system involving wild turkeys and their intestinal protozoal parasites, the eimerian coccidia.
- We used fecal egg counts to measure intensity of infection by T. tenuis worms and coccidia.
- We added the chemical to the drinking water during the pretreatment period to prevent the spread of coccidia, a common endoparasite of house finches.
coccidian adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Prevalence and intensity analyses included only strongyle and coccidian parasites.
- Many studies have highlighted the emergence of important gastrointestinal coccidian parasites.
- Toxoplasma gondii is a coccidian parasite of cats; humans and other warm-blooded animals serve as intermediate hosts.
Definition of coccidia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan