A disease of birds and mammals that chiefly affects the intestines, caused by coccidia.
- The coccidia belong to the genera Eimeria, Isopora, and others
More example sentences
- In recent years, poultry production has become increasingly threatened by a major parasitic disease called coccidiosis.
- Water was supplemented with the chemical, to suppress Isosporan coccidiosis, an ubiquitous disease of goldfinches that will quickly kill aviary birds.
- Male house finches, experimentally infected with coccidiosis grow a less red plumage and are less often selected by females.
late 19th century: from coccidium (singular of modern Latin Coccidia, from Greek kokkis, diminutive of kokkos 'berry') + -osis.
Definition of coccidiosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary