A parrot with an erectile crest, found in Australia, eastern Indonesia, and neighboring islands.
- Family Cacatuidae (or Psittacidae): several genera and numerous species, including the sulfur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
More example sentences
- Many parrots, macaws and cockatoos are also being driven close to extinction by international trade.
- Surprisingly, parrots and cockatoos can get jealous of other pets, so if there's a new animal in the house be patient whilst your bird gets used to the newcomer.
- When living at the hotel on Thursday Island in 1891 he installed a cage of parrots and cockatoos on the verandah.
mid 17th century: from Dutch kaketoe, from Malay kakatua, the spelling influenced by cock1.
More definitions of cockatooDefinition of cockatoo in:
- The British & World English dictionary