(also codlin moth)
Definition of codling moth in English:
A small, grayish moth whose larva feeds on apples.
- Cydia pomonella, family Tortricidae
- Such homegrown traps usually target adult fruit moths such as the codling moth.
- The light-pink worm, or larva, of the codling moth and the white worm of the oriental fruit moth hungrily feed on fruit.
- To fight the codling moth, the pesticide is sprayed on some 73 percent of apple orchards in the country.
Late Middle English: codling from Anglo-Norman French quer de lion 'lionheart'.
Definition of codling moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan