1 Mathematics A numerical or constant quantity placed before and multiplying the variable in an algebraic expression (e.g., 4 in 4xy).
- He extended the applications of the operational method to linear ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients.
- The problem was to find the roots by adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing and taking roots of expressions in the coefficients.
- Hermite had posed the problem of finding the minimal values of quadratic forms in n variables whose coefficients were real.
2 Physics A multiplier or factor that measures some property: coefficients of elasticity the drag coefficient
More example sentences
- The drag coefficient combines several ballistic properties of typical projectiles.
- This measure of a material's elasticity is called its coefficient of restitution.
- The shading coefficient is the measure of solar heat gain through the window.
Words that rhyme with coefficientefficient, proficient, sufficient
Definition of coefficient in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.