Definition of coelenterate in English:
An aquatic invertebrate animal of a phylum that includes jellyfishes, corals, and sea anemones. They are distinguished by having a tube- or cup-shaped body and a single opening ringed with tentacles. Also called cnidarian.
- Phylum Cnidaria (formerly Coelenterata): four classes
- Over 200 species of micro-organisms, fish, crustaceans, polychaetes, echinoderms, coelenterates, and molluscs have been identified in the vent areas.
- Some Late Precambrian Ediacaran fossils bear strong resemblances to colonial coelenterates called sea pens.
- Seabather's eruption occurs when a person is exposed to the larvae of certain coelenterates.
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Coelenterata, from Greek koilos 'hollow' + enteron 'intestine'.
Definition of coelenterate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.