Definition of coenocyte in English:
A body of algal or fungal cytoplasm containing several nuclei enclosed in a single membrane.
- One characteristic feature of the majority of syncytia and coenocytes is that their nuclei are regularly spaced within the cytoplasm.
- The mycelia are large coenocytes with many nuclei and can therefore be heterokaryotic.
- These coenocytes are tubular multinucleated filaments with no internal partitioning into cells.
- Example sentences
- Besides the already mentioned yeast spores, a good examples of a coenocytic plant is the multinucleate algae.
- In multinucleate coenocytic green algae, very large nuclear genomes have a role in maintaining nucleus/cytoplasm ‘domains’.
- The cell content is readily released by gently squeezing the segments of the coenocytic cellular organization.
Early 20th century: from Greek koinos 'common' + -cyte.
Definition of coenocyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.