Definition of coextensive in English:
1Extending over the same space or time; corresponding exactly in extent.
- There was an Enlightenment tendency to believe that the same moral principles were to be found in every society, so universality must have seemed coextensive with humanity.
- The process of acquiring a self is coextensive with the socialization of a child.
- By plotting the enemy strongholds on the map it is at once evident that they are coextensive with two pathways.
1.1(Of a term) denoting the same referent as another.
- We are forced to rely on necessary truths because truth values cannot pick out synonymous pairs - otherwise you fail to account for coextensive terms.
- These terms are made coextensive with the temporal span of Maisie's childhood; as the preface puts it, ‘she wonders… to the end-the death of her childhood’.
- It is coextensive with general election, but is broader than special election.
Definition of coextensive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan