1Extending over the same space or time; corresponding exactly in extent.
- There was an Enlightenment tendency to believe that the same moral principles were to be found in every society, so universality must have seemed coextensive with humanity.
- The process of acquiring a self is coextensive with the socialization of a child.
- By plotting the enemy strongholds on the map it is at once evident that they are coextensive with two pathways.
1.1(Of a term) denoting the same referent as another.
- We are forced to rely on necessary truths because truth values cannot pick out synonymous pairs - otherwise you fail to account for coextensive terms.
- These terms are made coextensive with the temporal span of Maisie's childhood; as the preface puts it, ‘she wonders… to the end-the death of her childhood’.
- It is coextensive with general election, but is broader than special election.
Words that rhyme with coextensiveapprehensive, comprehensive, defensive, expensive, extensive, intensive, offensive, ostensive, pensive, suspensive
Definition of coextensive in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.