Definition of cofactor in English:
1A contributory cause of a disease.
- The causes are clearly different from risk factors, which are the diseases accompanying cofactors.
- Anorectal infections are a potent cofactor for HIV transmission.
- Counseling can be offered to all patients with HCV infection to modify or prevent the adverse effects of cofactors, such as alcohol consumption, on disease progression.
2 Biochemistry A substance (other than the substrate) whose presence is essential for the activity of an enzyme.
- Thiamine pyrophosphate, the active form of vitamin B-1, is a key cofactor of the essential enzymes involved in carbon metabolism.
- Copper is usually utilized in organisms as a cofactor in enzymes or electron transfer proteins that catalyze redox reactions or oxygen chemistry.
- Modifications of proteins that depend upon vitamin C as a cofactor include proline and lysine hydroxylations.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan