Definition of cognate in English:
1 Linguistics (Of a word) having the same linguistic derivation as another; from the same original word or root (e.g., English is, German ist, Latin est, from Indo-European esti).
- English mother and German Mutter are cognate words.
- There is an interesting but short section on the local adaptive value of cultural rules including dialects and cognate words.
- However, many linguists think he chose cognate terms too broadly to bolster his reconstruction.
2 formal Related; connected: cognate subjects such as physics and chemistry
More example sentences
- His book deals with memes and other cognate subjects less frivolously and with much more academic rigour than I can muster.
- What we need is a conceptual ‘map’ that allows us to think through where ‘animation’ lies in relation to cognate subject areas.
- Interferences with the amenities of land and personal injuries arising during the use of land are cognate subjects.
nounBack to top
Early 17th century: from Latin cognatus, from co- 'together with' + natus 'born'.
- Example sentences
- Decisions relating to the two acts are often given effect in Excise and Customs Tariff Proposals that are tabled cognately in Parliament.
- Second and cognately, there's the Paradox of Analysis: Conceptual analysis is supposed to be somehow informative or enlightening.
- Hypocrisy is the pretension to qualities which one does not possess, or, more cognately, the putting forward of a false appearance of virtue or religion.
- Example sentences
- This is a question related to the cognateness of a faculty's programs and mission, which is discussed briefly below.
- Using the same evolutionist principles of cognateness and continuity, he attempted to reconstruct a common Ur-Germanic mythology.
- Much rather may we hold with scholars like Delitzsch and Kittel, that the relation is one of cognateness, not of derivation.
Words that rhyme with cognatedesignate • redesignate • neonate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan