Definition of cognitivist in English:
A person who believes or works in cognitive grammar.
- If the brain is at the root of all language, then the further claim of cognitivists makes sense: that the everyday and the special are cognitively the same.
- Along with the digital age, his theory of computation helped inspire the cognitivist revolution, making him, by some lights the first cognitivist.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to cognitive grammar.
- In the symbolic or cognitivist paradigm, which was dominant in the '70s and '80s, the mind is seen as a symbol-based rule-system.
- The cognitivist view has become familiar enough: figures of speech are really conceptual structures, crucial both to cognition and culture.
Definition of cognitivist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan