(also coho salmon or cohoe)
Definition of coho in English:
noun (plural same, cohos, or cohoes)
A deep-bodied North Pacific salmon with small black spots. Also called silver salmon.
- Oncorhynchus kisutch, family Salmonidae
- The Seymour hatchery raises and releases about 750,000 smolts annually, including pink, chum, coho, chinook salmon, cutthroat trout and steelhead.
- Some other common names for Oncorhynchus kisutch are coho, silver, blueback, and hook nose salmon.
- Each run of Pacific chinook, coho, sockeye, pink, and chum salmon knows how to survive in a specific spawning stream.
mid 19th century: probably from Salish k'wəxwəθ.
Definition of coho in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan