- A four-sided frame of boards with a removable glass or plastic top. The frame is placed on the ground and is used to house, protect, and harden off seedlings and small plants, without artificial heat.More example sentences
- Sow seeds of herbaceous perennials and alpine plants in a cold frame or unheated greenhouse.
- Bulbs forced inside or grown in cold frames in portable containers can easily be placed into large, outdoor containers at flowering time.
- According to our thermometers, this combination was not as protective as cold frames covered with glass, but the plants didn't seem to notice.
More definitions of cold frameDefinition of cold frame in:
- The British & World English dictionary