Definition of coleopteran in English:
An insect of the order Coleoptera; a beetle.
- Zygopterans and tabanids were absent, and coleopterans, neuropterans, trichopterans, hemipterans (true bugs), and anisopterans were rare.
- Trenching and vein-cutting behaviors have been reported for lepidopterans, orthopterans and coleopterans, and there is a correlation between resin canal organization and method of deactivation by insects.
- More than half of the arthropods were spiders, followed by coleopterans, orthopterans, and homopterans.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting coleopterans.
- This falls within the expected range for a coleopteran genome.
- For more information on the phylogeny and diversity of the Coleoptera, try the coleopteran pages on the Tree of Life exhibit at the University of Arizona.
- The project will be multi-disciplinary in its approach, integrating pollen diagrams, plant remains, coleopteran analysis and ethnographical information.
- Example sentences
- Rich in deadwood, these gaps allow the development of new species of coleopterous insects.
- A review of the literature revealed that viruses have been found in coleopterous insects.
- Trogini based on Trogus is a junior homonym of Trogidae MacLeay, 1819, based on the coleopterous genus Trox Fabricius.
Definition of coleopteran in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan