Definition of coleus in English:
A tropical Southeast Asian plant of the mint family that has brightly colored variegated leaves and is popular as a houseplant.
- Genus Solenostemon (formerly Coleus), family Labiatae
- Late-spring-to-frost annuals include the numerous sun coleuses, cleomes, periwinkles and zinnias.
- I've had great success with basil, begonias, coleus, impatients, tomatoes, and tomatillos.
- In summer months, bright annuals such as impatiens, begonia, and coleus make attractive companion plants.
Modern Latin, from Greek koleos 'sheath' (because of the way the stamens are joined together, resembling a sheath).
Words that rhyme with coleusJulius • nucleus • Equuleus
Definition of coleus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.