Definition of collectivism in English:
1The practice or principle of giving a group priority over each individual in it.
- Behind these lay another debate between equally traditional views of collectivism v. individual initiative and between atheistic materialism and the belief that the world was created by God.
- Social contract predicts a gradual movement from collectivism to individual liberty - it also regards self-respect as the very first primary social good.
- This will ultimately foster the spirit of individualism rather than collectivism in the youth.
1.1The theory and practice of the ownership of land and the means of production by the people or the state.
- The Universal Declaration does not aim for complete equality and it certainly isn't compatible with a political system based on some form of coercive collectivism, or state socialism as it existed in Eastern Europe - quite the contrary.
- From Shachtman he inherited his signature theories of democratic Marxism and bureaucratic collectivism, as well as his socialist outrage at the communist perversion of socialism.
- Surely, such a scientific ‘double whammy’ rendered any concept of socialism, of collectivism, of a society based on co-operation and solidarity, a mere pipe-dream?
Definition of collectivism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan