Definition of collision in English:
1An instance of one moving object or person striking violently against another: a midair collision between two aircraft the device increases the chances of collision
More example sentences
- Less than an hour after the Potters Bar crash three people were killed and another two critically injured in a head-on collision between two cars in Llandudno in Wales.
- Three people have died in a head-on collision between two cars in a weekend which also saw two police officers seriously injured in a separate road accident.
- The day after the air crash, he was involved in more drama when he witnessed a head-on collision between two cars.
1.1An instance of conflict between opposing ideas, interests, or factions: a collision between experience and theory cultures in collision
More example sentences
- The episode underlined the cultural collision between the free - spirited Rainbow People and traditional Indian culture.
- It's a collision between two very different views of what constitutes ownership.
- But what Pinter's production clearly presents us with is a collision between two different forms of desperation.
2.1An instance of simultaneous transmission by more than one node of a network.
- This causes collisions, transmission errors and resultant retries that degrade overall system performance.
- Suddenly network collisions were becoming more and more frequent as backups generally took a larger percentage of network bandwidth.
- Only the computer that has the token controls network communications and thus collisions do not occur.
on (a) collision course
- Going in a direction that will lead to a collision with another moving object or person.Example sentences
- At Manchester Airport in February a MyTravel Airways plane and a Ryanair aircraft were on collision course before take-off and disaster was averted only by the fast reactions of one of the pilots.
- This move by Falkirk could put the SPL on collision course with the SFA, leading to the long-predicted battle for the control of Scottish football.
- They have studiously avoided playing each other and, on the rare occasions when they have found themselves on collision course, they have side-stepped the issue, claiming injury.
- Example sentences
- In the innermost region of the disk out of which our sun and solar system formed, collisional accumulation leads over the course of several tens of millions of years to the formation of Earthsized rocky planets.
- The Florence team showed that the non-interacting fermions cannot support a DC current, which is what is expected given their special collisional properties and leads to a pinning of the atoms to their local displaced position.
- It is not yet certain whether the high-grade metamorphism and granite formation at c.930 Ma are related to a ‘Grenvillian’ or slightly younger collisional event, or to an episode of rifting and crustal thinning.
Words that rhyme with collisioncircumcision, concision, decision, derision, division, elision, envision, excision, imprecision, incision, misprision, precisian, precision, provision, scission, vision
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan