Definition of collotype in English:
1A process for making high-quality prints from a sheet of light-sensitive gelatin exposed photographically to the image without using a screen: [as modifier]: collotype printing
More example sentences
- A higher, and more expensive, process is collotype printing, in which the photographic image is transferred to a gelatine-covered glass plate which accepts printing ink in different and subtle degrees.
- Therefore it's no wonder only a handful of collotype studios are still existing in the world today.
- Printing high quality collotype illustrations for books was a decent size industry at one time.
1.1A print made by the collotype process.
- On loan from a private collection, these images-in a wide variety of formats including collotypes and hand-tinted photographs-show Huffman's skills and the various stages of his career.
- A distillation occurs in the self-portrait Palindrome, a collotype that Hamilton laminated in the lenticular acrylic used in 3 - D postcards.
- Postcards with ` Albertype’ printed on back are collotypes and usually date to the earlier 1900s.
Late 19th century: from Greek kolla 'glue' + type.
Words that rhyme with collotypesubtype • stereotype
Definition of collotype in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.