Come to a secret understanding for a harmful purpose; conspire: university leaders colluded in price-rigging the president accused his opponents of colluding with foreigners
More example sentences
- Assorted deadbeats such as myself are apparently colluding in a conspiracy of silence about parenthood.
- The Fourth and Fifth Defendants colluded in conspiracy to defraud for their own personal gains.
- Even in a relatively open democracy, the state has a vested interest in the management of information and the civil service and successive governments collude to conceal secret crimes.
- Example sentences
- I grow impatient with the victims, the helpless, the colluders, the conformists, the irresponsible, and the pseudoinnocents.
- That is why, when peacekeepers are deployed to enforce the cease-fire, they are usually viewed by the party that has lost most in the conflict as colluders in aggression.
- We are helpless onlookers or colluders in all these happenings.
Early 16th century: from Latin colludere 'have a secret agreement', from col- 'together' + ludere 'to play'.
Words that rhyme with colludeallude, brood, conclude, crude, delude, dude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, include, intrude, Jude, lewd, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, protrude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.