An Old World monkey of a mainly leaf-eating group that includes the colobus monkeys, langurs, and leaf monkeys.
- Subfamily Colobinae, family Cercopithecidae
More example sentences
- Among Asian colobines are Borneo's proboscis monkey, the Chinese snub-nosed monkeys and langurs, such as the douc of South-east Asia.
- There were five primate lineages studied here: hominoids, colobines, cercopithecines, platyrrhines (New World monkeys), and lemurs.
- The RNase1 gene was duplicated twice in ancestral ruminants at least 40 MYA, and it was also duplicated in the douc langur, an Asian colobine, approximately 4 MYA.
1950s: from modern Latin Colobinae, based on Greek kolobos 'curtailed'.
Definition of colobine in:
- The British & World English dictionary