(also colobus monkey)
noun (plural same)
A slender, leaf-eating African monkey with silky fur, a long tail, and very small or absent thumbs.
- Genera Colobus and Procolobus, family Cercopithecidae: several species
More example sentences
- Animals include duikers, eland and colobus, vervet and blue monkeys.
- There are also thousands of fossils of animals, such as colobus monkeys, pigs, birds, rodents, and even carnivores like hyenas and big cats.
- At least one species of monkey, the red colobus, was hunted to extinction, in part because logging roads gave hunters greater access to their previously unreachable habitat.
modern Latin, from Greek kolobos 'cut short'.
Definition of colobus in:
- The British & World English dictionary